Filing a VA Claim?

If you’re thinking of filing a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability compensation, here are three simple steps to follow that will facilitate the process. Think of them as the Three Cs — consult, collect and contact.

Step 1: Consult With Your National Service Officer.

Talk with your national service officer about the condition for which you are considering filing a claim. If, as a result of your discussion with the NSO, the claim appears warranted, go to:

Step 2: Collect Documentation.Gather the following documents to support your claim:
Service medical records
Private physician’s records
Applicable photographs
DD Form 214
Marriage certificate
Birth certificates of children
Copies of dependents’ Social Security cards

After assembling these records and forms, take . . .

Step 3: Contact Your NSO, Again.

Discuss with the service officer your findings and what more, if anything, needs to be done to document your claim.

Planning on transitioning from military life to the civilian world?

AMVETS is here to help. We provide a number of resorces and informational materials to point transitioning servicemembers in the right direction. Transition Assistance